Over Christmas I was talking to my brother and we got on the subject of lyrics of songs. He surprised me by stating that when he first heard "In Your Wildest Dreams" he thought the words were "In your wild Irish dreams"! We both got a good laugh out of that one and it started me thinking about the subject of misheard lyrics. So I thought it would be fun to talk about lyrics (Moody Blues or not) which we have misunderstood or which we know we have wrong but can't figure out. (Who knows the lyrics to Louie, Louie? Not even the guy that sang it! (I fuzza wuzza foz blah blah oh baby we gotta go now!) Of course we can look these up on the internet these days, but it still can be amusing to read what some people have to say on the subject.
For my own part, I have to admit that when I first heard Nights in White Satin way back when, I thought the lyrics, instead of "letters I've written" were "let us have kittens!"
Here are some more real hum-dingers!
1. Jimi Hendrix – Purple Haze
2. Bon Jovi – Living On A Prayer
3. ABBA - Dancing Queen
4. The Monkees – I'm A Believer
5. Johnny Nash – I Can See Clearly Now
6. Queen – We Will Rock You
7. Billy Joel - We Didn't Start the Fire
8. Bob Marley - Stir It Up
9. Credence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising
10. Fifth Dimension - Aquarius
11. R.E.M. - Losing My Religion
12. Bob Dylan - Blowin' In The Wind
There's a bathroom on the right?
Okay, now it's your turn! Don't be shy. Please share the lyrics you misheard over the years. Or is there a song you just cannot figure out and have made up your own lyrics?